In other words, more than the overall quality of the movie, it is the experience of watching the movie which leaves an impact. Look down your memory lane and see how many movies you remember just because they left you with an experience. So, merely watching a movie is completely different from 'experiencing the movie'
So, wondering how to make, every movie you watch, a wonderful experience? Read on.
Set a context
Here I assume that you have already decided to watch a movie and have some spare time in hand. So, this is the right time to set a context for watching the movie. Some of the contexts can be:
- You want to just rest and recuperate
- You want to spend time with family or friends
- You want to spend the available spare time
- Or, you want to watch the movie for the star or the director or the plot
- The list is endless
You see, the thumb rule is that “The Movie Should Suit the Mood, and not the other way round”
Like for example, if I have to spend some spare time I will watch a Transformer or a Hangover. Preferably in a theater nearby, to enjoy the real effects of the movie. Or to spend the time with my family, I would watch a Baton Baton mein at home.
A direct comparison would be with eating. What would be the experience if you have Fried rice with Manchurian in breakfast or a Upma for lunch? It should Suit the mood, is the mantra.
Where to watch
These days, the options are numerous. However, my personal recommendation is to enjoy any movie it should be seen in a theater. However, it may happen that the movie may not be playing if it’s not a new movie. So, the options are:
• Watch at home. Check out the TV listing. Maybe the movie or a similar one is playing on your favorite channel.
• Buy a DVD. The quality of DVDs is generally true HD and gives you a true home theater experience.
• Request for a movie. If you own a DTH you may avail to their service of requesting for a movie. That ways you don’t need to buy a DVD.
• But Best option still remains the theater nearby.
The Warm Up before watching:
Before you decide a movie, follow this basic exercise, so as to not get disappointed later!
• Check out the reviews. Read the reviews by some established critic. Read what the movie is about. Understand the mood of the movie. The mood of the movie should suit your mood. That is when the movie becomes memorable. You should be generally aware of the plot of the movie before watching to avoid unforeseen surprises. These days, the technology being so fast, you need only 5 mins to check the review even while on the move.
One recommended site is IMDB for unbiased reviews
• But don’t go by the star ratings. The star ratings are generally given for over all movie performance. But if I am in a mood to spend time with friends, a “Hangover 2 “ or a “Transformer 3” may be a good option even though the movies weren’t overall rated well.
• Talk to people. In case you know someone who has already seen the movie, talk to them for their reviews. Though their views may still be biased, but it will still give you an overall view of what to expect from the movie. This generally works for new movies.
During the movie
The movie is an experience. It has to be experienced. A few things to be noted to make the movie a memorable experience
• Comfortable seating/setting. In case you are watching the movie at home, make sure you have a comfortable seating without much disturbance. Adjust the lights accordingly. If it is daytime, close the curtains to avoid direct sunlight on the TV screen. If you have a home theater, set it on for the best results. In short, be comfortable.
• “Switch Off” your mobile. It is always best to “Switch OFF” the mobile while watching a mobile. Here, switching off the mobile does not mean turning it to vibrator mode. Unnecessary calls, sms, mails may still disturb you in between.
• Popcorn! Arrange for your supplies. By popcorn, I mean anything that can be munched. Movies are best enjoyed with something to munch along with. Arrange for soft drinks. You will find that the thrillers and the horrors experience will be doubled with popcorns nearby
Go on, enjoy the movie!
The Follow up
Very Important. What makes the movie a complete experience is how you follow up after the movie. More or less, after the movie, you tend to discuss the movie. This gives the movie a broader perspective. Go on, be creative.
So, follow it up with a dinner. Go for a long drive. Get pizzas on the way. Cozy up in the home.
This movie will now stay long in your memory. Even if the movie was not particularly good, the experience will still stay in your memory.
Watching a movie is an art. The more creative you are, the more you will enjoy watching it. Even the moderate movies.
If you think the article is worth a comment, leave one. By the way, each of your comment is an experience for me! Cheers! Follow @PureWaste