Sunday, May 16, 2021

The Marvelous World of Museums

 A museum is a place where nothing was lost, just rediscovered…” Nanette L. Avery

When was the last time when we rediscovered something, like it was the first time?

In our routine and busy lives, we seldom get time to explore and rediscover things. I believe the story is same for everyone in this modern era. So, I have adopted a routine for myself since a last few years which has helped me overcome this, to a large extent. Visiting Museums. 


I have made it a routine to regularly visit museums at regular intervals. Museums, as a premises, have a lot of depth in their being and provide the space to our minds to refresh and introspect. As we start appreciating the exhibits, we get a chance to understand the context why the exhibit exists. Why was it created in the first place? What may have been the social, religious and cultural constructs at that point in time. What value does the exhibit showcase, that can be used in the current context at the time of its creation? If not anything, it gives us a perspective of how at some point in time we were humans, are humans and shall continue to remain humans.

I follow some of these routines when I visit any museum:

  1. I set a context: Most of the times, I have a context of why I am visiting the museum, as to just as a place of solace or to slow the time down or to get insights into the history of any city or any military culture etc. A couple of examples, is before I visited the Vietnam War Museum, I read about the Vietnam war militarily, from both the standpoints. Also, before visiting the Museum of Innocence, I read the book. Context is important.
  2. I don’t set a context: Sometimes though, I just go the museum without any agenda or context. Here, the point is not setting a context is more of an exploratory visit. And am always baffled to see the kind of surprises a museum offers in terms of rediscovering things, both externally and internal to one self.
  3. I visit a variety of Museums. There are History Museums, Archeology Museums, Art Museums, War Museums, Science Museums and most importantly, City Museums. For example, if you have not yet visited the Mumbai city museum - Bhau Daji Lad Museum yet, I would highly recommend you get yourself a virtual tour today right away. You will start seeing Mumbai from a different perspective altogether. And when the Museum reopens, make a note to visit Byculla once.


  4. I never buy the audio guides. To experience the exhibit, you have to look at it from your own viewpoint. But do read the information given near the exhibit. That is mandatory. Give your own perspective to the exhibit, as to why it is the way it is. Even if you buy a audio guide, use it to a minimum. Experience the Museum instead.
  5. I make notes of exhibits that entice me or look interesting. I come back and read more about them. That completes the cycle from the holistic museum experience standpoint.
  6. I Plan the visit, if possible, when there is some workshop or some session organized by the Museum. That way you get to hear to some experts on some related topic, as well get to speak to like minded people.
  7. I experience the Museum Cafés. Most of the museums I have visited take long hours to experience it. Almost every time, I have felt the need to take a break, have a quick grub. That way I get to spend more time in the Museum, talk to people around and get newer perspectives too. Do visit the Museum Café at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vaastu Sanghralay, Fort. (Erstwhile Price of Wales Museum). It gives you a felling of being in the middle of nowhere, while being in the heart of the city. Or the Café of Istanbul Modern Museum gives one a breathtaking view of sea outside. 



  8. I visit the Museum stores. Buy some memorabilia. Like a mug or a tie pin or an artifact. I like to carry the experience of Museum back to my routine life. These make a good gift item too, specially to some one who understands the true worth of such gifts.

All this can be achieved only if I am an active participant during my visit to any museum. That way I create my own museum experience. I make sure I visit some museum at least once every six months as a routine. It helps to put brakes on the pace of life, and gives me time to sit back and introspect. I have experienced many aspects of life just by visiting museums 

Real museums are places where Time is transformed into Space.” ― Orhan Pamuk

 Some special mentions before I conclude:

  • My old friend Kerman Fatakia, who is a curator at the Framji Dadabhoy Alpaiwalla Museum, for having such an amazing profile. (I am yet to visit his place though, just waiting for the lockdown to end soon!)
  • Tasneem Zakaria Mehta, the Managing Trustee of Bhau Daji Lad Museum, the history and city museum of Mumbai city for giving the city this amazing museum. It is exactly what every Mumbaikar would ask for.

I will conclude with where I began - To rediscover yourself, visit a Museum.

  

P.S. I list out a select few chronicles of my Museum Visit (that I cared to make a note of 😋) as my memories.  

 

Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Mumbai

 

Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vaastu Sanghralay, Mumbai

 

Ghalib ki Haveli, Balli Maran, Purani Dilli


Indian National Army Museum, Moriang, Manipur


Baroda Museum, Baroda


The Blanco Renaissance Museum, Ubud, Bali


Museum of Innocence, Istanbul


Anadolu Museum, Turkey

 

 

No comments: